Sunday, December 1, 2013

Our Favorite Escape

Everyone has a favorite place. That campground that is more special than the others you have been too.  It doesn't matter if it's large or small. That special place that you return to time and time again. A place at the lake, the mountains, the ocean or the desert. That place that just seems home to you. Our  place is Weston Lake, SC., just off post at Fort Jackson, located from I-77 in Columbia, SC. We enjoy our time spent there. It's our favorite and we return as often as we can.

My first visit to the area was 1965. I was a young seventeen year old from TN., sent to Fort Jackson for my basic training in the Army. I have retained all those memories from those days long ago. My training lasted nine weeks, it was a very important part in the growth period of my life. I still recall my unit, C-9-2 on Tank Hill and the names of my training cadre and all those days of training. The quick bonds and friendships formed with others who were as green as myself. Leaving there in 1965 I never figured I'd be back. Certainly not that I would spend a total of 22 years in the Army as well. Now that I'm retired, I enjoy the perks of all that the retirement benefits offer. Weston Lake is one of those benefits. The FamCamp is only available to active duty and retired military and their dependents.
Kathie and I are always eager to head to Weston Lake. It's a very quite and peaceful place. We enjoy walking about the lake and the many trails thru the woods. The camp sites are large and spacious. We have everything we need and if we do need something, we can buy on post or the local economy. We can relax and spend long lazy days enjoying our surroundings. The camp fires are a favorite at night. Kathie enjoys toasting marshmallows.  
I especially enjoy the many birds that call this area home. The whippoorwill is always present and the owls call out thru the night.  We put on our jackets and stoke up the camp fire as the fading sun sinks thru the pine trees and the last of it's light dims and the darkness sinks about us.  The night air is cool and the slight breeze off the lake keeps the biting insects away.
 
  
I feel at home here. The fellow campers who are active/retired or dependents of military are a respectful and quiet group of folks. We all have that in common. It's a constant change at times, those who are coming and those who are leaving. We are allowed three weeks at a time, then we must change campsites. We have yet to not get a campsite, but it does fill up quickly. The new section is the section we like the best. The older section is in the grass and not as spacious. We get full hook-ups, water, sewer, electric, cable and wifi. Paying only $15.00 nightly. Ok! That's the reason we keep coming back, haha. We'd gladly pay more for all that we get there. We have paid a lot more for a lot less at some of the commercial campgrounds. The Military is our preferred way to go.
 
From our campsite we are just a few hours from Charleston. It's a nice day trip and we often go off exploring the surrounding city's and area's of interest. It's only a few hours to Savannah if we wanted to pick up and head that way. But why leave when we have everything needed where we are? We do plan to continue south bound once our home is sold. Then we will be nomads on the move to points everywhere. That day can't come fast enough for us. Until then we will just have to resign to our shorter trips and longer stays at Fort Jackson and other short hops to surrounding great area's.


Our day trip to Charleston was great. We walked all over the town. Looking at the historical and beautiful architectural displays, the building and small courtyards and gardens of the 1800 circa homes. We visited Battery Park and looked across the open waters to Fort Sumter. I could imagine the H L Hunley as it made it's way under water to the target not far away. The Azaleas were plentiful and all in bloom. We even visited Bubba Gump's Shrimp Company. It was a great day, but not enough time to see it all.
 
Regardless of how far our day trips take us. We are always ready to return to our campsite by days end. Kathie finds it relaxing to sit in the evening sun, reading a book or napping. I find it's always five o'clock somewhere. Grilling and eating out is a very nice way to end the day.  

 
On our many walks, gathering fire wood, hickory nuts or just exercising we have noticed the large pine cones that seem to fall plentiful upon the grounds. These are the largest of all those I have seen. I'm not sure if it's a certain type of pine tree or more to do with the weather and growing conditions of SC. Kathie and I find it not hard to find one that is larger than the one we thought was the largest we had picked up. We have found those measuring 10" and more in height.
As you can see, my wife has a small head. The pine cone is a very large one for sure! It's a great fire starter. (The pine cone and not my beautiful wife's head)
My favorite time of day is early morning as I sit and drink my coffee watching the sun rise.  The campground is quiet and only the dog walkers are about.  As I watch the dogs kick start their day and their owners bagging their droppings I can't help but think.........."Who Pooped in the Park?"  That is the title of a children's book that we picked up from a bookstore in the Great Smokey Mountain National Park.  Contents of which is an illustrated book of what animal goes with which poop.  I think some of these dog owners will do well to read that book.  As on my last visit I stepped into a pile which had gone unclaimed.  There's another book titled, "How to Shit in the Woods," it's a book describing in fine detail for humans what to do when you have to go. 

It's amazing the sort of crap you think of early in the morning. Maybe I need to switch to Decaffeinated coffee, my mind wouldn't be so wired, haha. Hope your day starts on a pleasant note. Remember to ask, "Why go Dutch?" It just seems to fit the subject matter LOL. As the little blue Charmin bear says, "We all need to go, why not enjoy the go." With that, I will bid you a happy camping day :)
 
 
 
 



 



No comments:

Post a Comment